Nigerian City Bans Smoking While Driving
I understand the concept of creating sanity on roads which are generally chaotic, but I think Lagos, Nigeria has gone over and beyond any reasonable restoration of sanity and gone into fascist territory.
Here are the new traffic rules passed, complete with the penalties for disobeying them, some are reasonable, but smoking while driving?
1.Riding a motor-cycle against traffic : 1st time offender – $124 (N20,000.00) subsequent offender- $186 (N30,000.00) finw
2. Smoking while driving – $124 (N20,000.00) fine
3. Failure to give way to traffic on the left at a roundabout – $124 (N20,000.00) fine
4. Disobeying traffic control – $124 (N20,000.00) fine
5. Riding motor-cycle without crash helmet for rider and passenger – $124 (N20, 000) or 3yrs imprisonment
6. Driving without valid driver’s license – Vehicle to be impounded.
7. Driving with fake number plate – $124 (N20,000.00) and 6 month imprisonment or both.